CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, May 5, 2008

PAYDAY!!!

Today was the first payday for the 'Kids Paid Chores' test run experiment...(I need a better name). Well, not actually today..yesterday seeing as how it is now 3:20 am on Monday. I went to bed at 7:30. Why? I don't know. Laziness. I took the kids to an illuminated light parade on Sat night...more about that later. Anyway, I woke up at 2 cause Angel fell asleep on the couch and he came in to bed at that time mumbling something about me leaving him out there. whatever dude...I don't mess with bears in hibernation.

So..anyway.. I am up also cause I remember the stupid blockbuster movies are due on Sunday and I was freaking out because of their new rules about returns and after 5 days they charge the amount of the movies to your bank account and you only get store credit.

CRAP!!

I had 3 movies out that were due and my stupid ass knocked out at 7pm!!

So I started shuffling around the house wondering if I should drive over there at 3 am to turn in the movies and hope that I don't get charged.

You are probably wondering...Why don't you just drop them off in the morning before you go to work, the store won't even be open then and it serves the same purpose?

Answer: Because my Dumb Ass will forget! I know it. No way around it.

I know that Angel isn't going to work because he is waiting on an appointment to open up at the dentist for him. So he will be home all day.

You are probably wondering...Why don't you have Angel drop them off in the morning before they open?

Answer: Because I can't rely on that Sloth. He will have the movies with him allllll day in the truck and decide to drop them off at 3 pm. Even if I call to remind him...which I won't because I'm at work and already forgot about the movies.

So I took them.

Now...back to my original topic...

The kids got paid today. Of course I had to make this a business adventure for them because I don't want them to become naive about money.

Here is the list...




The kids started asking me.."What's monies?"

Anywho....so here's how it went...I decided to go with the random pick from a jar idea first. It worked for a little while but then they started not wanting to do what they picked. Dom was mostly washing dishes. Miah the living room and Devyn liked cleaning the dining room and microwave. Each of them had to keep track of the chores they did each day and the amount of each chore. Then they had to submit it to me with the week's total in order to get paid every Sunday.

Here's Miah adding up hers.

Here's what I got....

Dom's list: He actually got $4.20 because he threw the trash. I told him that next time if it wasn't on the list he wasn't getting paid for it.




Miah's list: She actually got $3.74. She didn't count a bathroom job. I told her that the same rule applied to her.



Devyn's list: Apparently he decided to do the math in his head. He actually thought he was going to get paid $550,755.00.



As I was cracking up in the corner... my friend Jen showed him how to add it up.

He really got paid $1.70.

The kids are happy. I'm happy I don't really have to do much work.

All is right with the world.

Well...since it's 4:30 I guess I may as well try to get a couple more hours of sleep before I have to get up for work.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know that feeling!!
Waking up and knowing there is something you forgot to do...and no matter what the more logical solution would be, you wind up taking care of it immediately!
yeah. Been there.
I'm glad the paid labor is working out for your kids! :)
Don't work 'em too hard! haha

KatBouska said...

What a great idea! I can't wait till my kids get older and I can start making them work around here!! Shoot, I should start while they're good and young. $.50 for giving mommy a back massage, $.75 for fetching mommy her happy drink, $.30 for finding the remote control for mommy...I like where this is going!

ps thanks for visiting my blog too! I consider Walmart and Target one of the same! You're just as bad as the rest of us.

Tiffany said...

I love that you posted the lists... so great.
You have inspired me to put my kid to work!

This is my first time by your blog... I'll be back!